Welcome to Awesome Toddler Beds, where We help parents decide which kind of toddler bed to get for their little ones.
One of the biggest debates among most parents is when to transition a toddler from a crib to a toddler bed or even jump straight to a twin-size bed. Of course, it is entirely up to the parents to choose what they feel is the correct route, but I will give you the pros and cons of all available choices. So, if you think of buying anything, please click here to read this guide first!
If you decide to go the crib-to-toddler bed route
- The crib mattress fits! This saves money at the moment!
- You can continue using crib bedding which saves money
- Great for small spaces
- Frees up floor space for playtime
- Potentially easier to transition from the crib
- It has built-in rails, so you are less worried about falls
- You are spending extra money in the long run
- No snuggling room for the parent
- Your child will outgrow the toddler bed soon, so you’ll have to buy a giant bed at some point.
Now if you decide to go from crib to twin bed:
- Your child will fit in it for many years to come! In addition, you will save money by going straight to the twin bed and avoiding the cost of the toddler bed altogether.
- You can fit on the bed for story time or snuggles!
- Extra comfort. With the added space, your child can have their stuffed animals on the bed, and they can move around and get comfortable.
- One less transition. Change can be challenging and exciting. But, depending on your little one, they may want one less change.
- It doesn’t come with rails. However, depending on the age at which you are switching your child to this bed, you may have to invest in an inexpensive fence for a short period.
- The crib mattress doesn’t fit. This means spending more money upfront (bed, bedding, mattress, rail).
- It has a larger frame than the toddler bed. This could be an issue if you don’t have space yet.
Now I bet you were wondering if there were any other options out there, and is one more. It’s called a toddler to twin bed. So you get the best of both worlds with a toddler to twin bed.
- Still use the crib mattress
- It has built-in bed rails for added safety
- Enough space for a parent to snuggle or read to their toddler
- Most Toddlers to Twins have fantastic designs
- Convert the bed into a twin when the toddler is ready
- They typically have the same frame as a twin bed. This could be an issue if you don’t have the space for a twin.
- Typically more expensive than Twin beds and Toddler beds
Now some parents are wondering what to do if they decide to travel.
You are lucky because I also have a list of my Top 5 portable toddler bed reviews. There are two kinds of portable toddler beds out there. You have the metal frame portable toddler bed and the air portable toddler bed. Both beds are great for traveling, so it is up to you on your preference and traveling needs.