Welcome to Awesome Toddler Beds where I help parents decide which kind of toddler bed to get for their little ones.
One of the biggest debates among most parents is when to transition a toddler from a crib to a toddler bed or even jump straight to a twin size bed. Quite frankly in my opinion it is fully up to the parents of what they feel like is the right route to go, but I’m going to give you the pro’s and con’s of all the choices available. IF YOU ARE THINKING OF BUYING USED PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THIS GUIDE FIRST!
If you decide to go the crib to toddler bed route
- The crib mattress fits! This obviously saves money in the moment!
- Can continue using crib bedding which saves money
- Great for small spaces
- Frees up floor space for play time
- Potentially easier to transition from the crib
- It has built-in rails so you are less worried about falls
- You are spending extra money in the long run
- No snuggling room for the parent
- Your child will outgrow the toddler bed soon, so you’ll have to buy a bigger bed at some point.
Please check out my Top 5 toddler bed reviews and you can decide for yourself which bed style you like.
Now if you decide to go from crib to twin bed:
- Your child will fit in it for many years to come! You will save money by going straight to the twin bed and avoiding the cost of the toddler bed all together.
- You can fit on the bed for story time or snuggles!
- Extra comfort. With the added space your child can have their stuffed animals on the bed, and they can move around and get comfortable.
- One less transition. Change can be hard and exciting. Depending on your little one they may want one less change.
- It doesn’t come with rails. Depending on the age that you are switching your child to this bed, you may have to invest in an inexpensive rail for a short period.
- The crib mattress doesn’t fit. This means spending more money upfront (bed, bedding, mattress, rail).
- It has a larger frame than the toddler bed. If you don’t have the space for it yet, this could be an issue.
Please check out my Top 5 twin bed reviews and you can decide for yourself which bed style you like.
Now I bet you were wondering if there were any other options out there and is one more. It’s called a toddler to twin bed. With a toddler to twin bed you get the best of both worlds.
- Still use the crib mattress
- Has built-in bed rails for added safety
- Enough space for a parent to snuggle or read to their toddler
- Most Toddler to Twins have awesome designs
- Convert the bed into a twin when the toddler is ready
- They typically have the same frame as a twin bed. If you don’t have the space for a twin, this could be an issue.
- Typically more expensive than Twin beds and Toddler beds
Please check out my Top 5 toddler to twin bed reviews and you can decide for yourself which bed style you like.
Now some parents are wondering what they need to do if they decide to travel?
You are in luck because I have a list of my Top 5 portable toddler bed reviews as well. There are two kinds of portable toddler beds out there. You have the metal frame portable toddler bed and the air portable toddler bed. Both types of beds are great for traveling so it is up to you on your preference and traveling needs.